52 Week Money Challenge 2014
It’s 2014 and we’re back with the #52 Week Money Challenge!
Once again this has been buzzing around the internet and it’s a good possibility that you’ve already seen this and inspired to do it!
I highly suggest doing it! However.. people fizz out. I did this last year and blogged about it every week and reminded those that were doing it all the way up to week 18.
- It was too tempting to keep the money in a jar. Too easy of an access for me to grab it for lunch money, etc.
- It was cumbersome to always take money out of the bank to put into a jar.
- And to be honest, sometimes it wasn’t 100% practical to put away $1. It was just easier to go with a set amount.
I eventually just set it up with my bank and had it automatically come up. But guess what? It was out of sight, out of mind so I forgot to blog about it every week (I’m sorry!)
HOWEVER, we’re doing it again this year and I’ve put in a fail safe systems so it happens every week! One of my contributors will be helping me to make sure it gets done. So definitely stick with me because we are going to be DOING it here at A Mitten Full Of Savings!
So the difference of what I am doing:
- Just setting a set amount (I will be doing mine every two weeks)
- Finding other ways to save
- and doing a Spending challenge (look for a new blog post in just a bit)
- Just like with couponing, you have to change the way you think when it comes to money. So instead of just doing a challenge, then being done.. we’re all going to get into the mindset together of changing the way we value money (and if you’re already there.. then great!)
Last year I saved $2,000 which paid for Christmas! I think I am going to do the same thing with the money again this year.
*Note this is not my regular savings account amount. This is just a little extra. I love this challenge because you put just a little away each week. And there’s a ton of different ways you can find that little extra.
Some people mentioned finding ways to come up with this money when you don’t have extra to squeeze out. Here’s a few things you can do:
- Signing up for Ibotta– give you $$ back after buying certain products (quite a few products that you probably use)
- Signing up and doing surveys to earn quick cash- check out this growing list!
- Look around your house and see what you can sell at the consignment stores, used video game stores/electronics, craigslist, ebay, facebook, etc
- Do extra chores for Neighbors to score a few extra bucks
- Give Blood, definitely will put anywhere between $20-$60 in your pocket
So here’s what I’m doing differently here at A Mitten Full Of Savings than the rest of the Internet! Each week, I will remind you to store about the weekly amount (you can do more, less) PLUS you will receive a savings tip each week. This savings tip will give you an idea, inspire you, and motivate you to find a way to save in that particular week!
So here’s a few tools to get you started:
One you can print out this 52 week challenge PDF and put it somewhere so you don’t forget it (fridge, desk where you pay your bills, etc)-52 week money challenge pdf or if you don’t have PDF, then you can print the JPEG option:
For those that don’t like paper and you’re all digital, you can download the 52 Week Challenge tracker This little nifty tool will also let you know do the 52 week challenge in reverse as well, or pick your own amount to save each week. (That’s what I’m doing!) I like this savings tracker, but you can change the amount and it will automatically give you the new balance and a running total of how much you have saved and will save by the end of the year!
Also be sure to join our Facebook Group- I will be reminding you here on the blog and there as well!
You can view the following weeks and money save ways tips below:
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 7: Drink More Water
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 6: Maintain your car
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 5: Reap the Rewards
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 4: Practice the Waiting Game
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 3: Buy Seasonings in Bulk
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 2: Buy Your Clothes Used
- 52 Money Save Ways: Week 1: Make Lists
- 52 Week Money Challenge
- 52 Week Money Challenge Tracker (Printable and Electronic Versions)
I will have to give this a try next year. I think it would be very helpful!
Lois– you still have time to join in now 🙂
I started this but got off track. I am going to give it a go again next year. Thanks for linking up at #ThrowbackThursday!