EYC: Chicken Casserole Recipe! Quick To Make & Easy On The Budget!
This dish is a favorite among our whole family! It’s quick to make, easy on the budget, and appealing to hungry mouths!
I obtained the recipe from a friend a few years ago, but have altered the recipe to add/take out what our family will eat. I usually make a big dish which lasts us about two days (family of 5)
I am going to give you the original recipe, with my notes of what I have done differently
Preheat oven to 375
- Chicken Breast Tenders (1b)- sometimes I don’t always use tenders, but whatever chicken is available and chop it up
- 8z cup white rice- we use Japanese Rice ( I buy a big bag at Sam’s for $20 and it can last us about 4-5 months)
- 3 small cans of golden mushroom soup ( I only use about 1-2 cans)
- 2 small cans of Cream of chicken soup
- 1 tbl miracle whip ( I usually do 2)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice ( I do about 2)
- 1 full cup of chopped onions ( I usually add more, plus add red/green peppers)
- I full cup of sliced watered chestnuts (these are actually great in this dish, but if you don’t have any on hand, I have used peas, frozen broccoli, or another veggie)
- 1 full cup of chopped celery ( I usually skipt this one)
- 1 lg bag of shredded cheese ( I usually do about 16 oz of cheese and I mix it up w/ Italian, mexican, sharp, and/or mozzarella depending on what I have on hand)
- 1 large can of french fried onions
- Desired seasonings to add flavor, salt, pepper, old bay seasoning, and a dish of this and that
Put onions, chestnuts (or other veggie if desired), celery
Mix miracle whip, salt and lemon in a separate bowl
Cut chicken up into small strips or cubes. Prepare rice as instructed by package
Once Chicken is cooked put in a large bowl ( I usually just put it right into the casserole dish) and add rice. Mix golden mushroom soup, cream of chicken soups, miracle whip, salt, lemon juice, onions, peppers, celery, and any other additions you want to mix in this dish. I also mix a little cheese in as well (this is optional, but gives it more of a cheesy taste)
If you put right into casserole dish make sure everything is evenly mixed and spread across the dish. Top with Shredded cheese, then the french fried onions.
Bake for 35 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the french fried onions are golden ( I usually bake mines uncovered).
**You can always double this recipe if you need more or what to create additional leftovers or reduce it for less people!
This meal is easy to make and most of the prep time is spent chopping up the produce. I usually have most of these ingredients on hand at all times. I keep a stock pile of cheese ( my stock pile price for cheese is FREE-.50 cents)
Let me know if you try it!