Red White and Blue Desserts are a must for summer parties, and this Mini Patriotic Cakes recipe is a perfect homemade cake with simple decorations! This recipe is perfect for your next weekend barbecue! These are ideal for those Memorial Day or 4th of July picnics, but also great for any weekend picnic where you want a fun, sweet treat for everyone.
Red White and Blue Desserts Mini Cakes Recipe
I love making themed desserts when we are hosting friends or family. Whether it is a birthday party, watch party for a favorite tv show, or merely a holiday, it is always fun to have a theme. Patriotic themes are still popular throughout the summer months. It just seems they fit ideally with a barbecue or grilling theme.
This recipe for homemade cake takes a bit of effort to assemble but is still simple to make. Carve out a bit of time to prepare these and have them displayed beautifully for the next patriotic holiday!
Creating a Patriotic Theme
Using red, white, and blue decor makes any summer event more fun, in my opinion. There are some great ways to do this simply, but you can go upscale if you have the time and energy. Below are some ideas I have shared in the past for making your table keep the patriotic theme.
- Best Memorial Day Entertaining Tips: Pull off a Last Minute Party
- 4th of July Table Decor Ideas
- Red, White, and Blue Outdoor Party Idea
- DIY Patriotic Centerpieces
Ingredients for Red White and Blue Desserts Patriotic Cakes
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- ¼ tsp blue gel food coloring
- Circular cookie cutter, about 3 inches in diameter
Ingredients for icing and decorations
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring
- 4-6 oz. white fondant
- Mini star-shaped cookie cutter
Yields: 6 mini cakes
How to Make Red White and Blue Desserts Mini Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and canola oil and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In thirds, slowly add dry ingredients into a large bowl of wet ingredients, alternating with the milk.
- Once the batter is formed, add blue gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Pour batter onto a lined baking sheet and even it out with a spatula.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and once cooled, cut out 12 circles using your cookie cutter.
How to decorate mini patriotic cakes
- Make the buttercream by beating together butter, icing sugar, milk and cocoa powder with an electric mixer. Start on low speed and gradually increase to high.
- Once buttercream starts to take the form (creamy and forms semi-stiff peaks), add red food coloring. Mix until tinted.
- Scoop your red buttercream into a piping bag and frost 6 of your circular mini cakes. Add an unfrosted circular mini cake on top.
- Frost the top of each layered cake.
- Roll out your white fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use your star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out approx. 18 stars.
- Decorate the top of each cake with 3 fondant stars.
More Patriotic Themed Foods
For your next patriotic themed gathering, make sure to serve up a ton of great food that matches your theme. These mini cakes are super easy to make, and you’ll love them. Alongside cake, you may want a great punch or cookie recipe. You could even create a fruit tray with berries and melon!