You’re college bound and in need of turning your dorm into your new home. EXCITING!
Leaving home is an exciting time but knowing what to take to make your dorm room your new home can be overwhelming. College can also be expensive, so be sure to read my tips on ways to save for College!
List Of 11 Dorm Room Essentials & Checklist
However being prepared with the right decor for dorm living can eliminate the stress and get you on your way to having a new place to call home. You will need to know a thing about dorm living to get you started. Your new home is small, very small, and you will be sharing it with a roommate. Not only will you have a roomie, but you will have a common area for watching television and doing a little cooking. You will also have a community bathroom (and you know how long it takes with a ton of girls, right lol) on your hall will share. Knowing this can help you decide what you should take with you. Also another way to help save money on dorm room essentials is to create a money jar system!
Related: How to make a College Care Basket!
Here is a list of your 11 must have dorm essentials
1. Most dorm beds are twin size, extra long. You are going to need all of your bed linens such as sheets, a comforter, and a pillow. Your bedding is a way for you to show your style and forget the days of matching your roommates bedding decor.5pc Twin XL College Dorm Comforter Set
2. You will be showering in a shower used by many girls so make sure you have something to carry your bath products in some kind of portable shower caddie. Avoid catching athletes feet by wearing flip flops or some type of water shoe while taking a shower. Antimicrobial Shower & Water Sandals
3. You will be eating in the cafeteria, but you will want to have some food and snacks available in your room so a small refrigerator is a must as well as decorative storage bins and containers to store your food.
4. Think small spaces so anything that will allow you to save space and keep your personal belongings organized and contained will be needed, including closet organizers. 6 Pocket Bedside Storage Mattress Book Remote Caddy
5. Wipe off boards are a great way to keep up with your to do lists, leave a message for your roomie, and to hang outside your dorm door to let your friends know you are studying, away, or even sleeping!
6. Add a privacy curtain or room screen divider to allow yourself some privacy. There will come a time when you just want to be alone and unfortunately with a roommate, it will be almost impossible to just chill. By having some type of room divider, you will be able to adapt to a semi private environment.
7. A small fan will be great when the weather has started to change and you do not have a room air conditioner.
8. A coffee maker is important for all of your late night cram sessions.
9. You will want to decorate your walls. Most dorms will not allow nails in the walls. Something like 3M command wall hangers are perfect for hanging picture frames and even your jewelry, belts, and scarves.Vinyl Wall Art Quotes
10. A desk lamp or even a small lamp that clips onto your bed frame will be helpful when your roommate is up late studying and you are ready for bed.
11. Another thing to think about is cooking in your college dorm room. Of course, an Instant Pot is something that would work out great during your college years. And I have 20 meal ideas you can make in your Instant Pot under $100 bucks! If you have a hot plate, you can also make meals with skillets, pots, and pans. Be sure to check out this sale going on with Calphalon ( I love their products- great quality, and I don’t have to worry about pieces of the pan getting into my food!).
Check out this sale currently running until August 15th, 2017 with Calphalon:
- Calphalon Classic™ Nonstick 12-In. Fry Pan With Cover – $44.99 $38.24
- Calphalon Classic™ Ceramic Nonstick 12-in. Fry Pan with Cover – $54.99 $46.74
- Calphalon Classic™ Ceramic Nonstick 10-in. Fry Pan – $34.99 $29.74
- Calphalon Classic™ Nonstick 5-Qt. Saute Pan With Cover – $59.99 $50.99
- Calphalon Classic™ Ceramic Nonstick 8-in. Fry Pan – $29.99 $25.49
- Calphalon Classic™ Nonstick 12-in. Fry Pan – $39.99 $33.99
- Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel 1.5-qt. Sauce Pan with Cover – $29.99 $25.49
- Calphalon Classic™ Nonstick 2-qt. Chef’s Pan with Cover – $44.99 $38.24
- Calphalon Classic™ Nonstick 10-pc. Cookware Set – $199.99 $169.99
College is an exciting time and dorm living can be a challenge. However being prepared for your new environment can make a huge difference when adapting to dorm life.
**And since you’re a student, here is another great deal and tip to grab- You can get a FREE 6 month Amazon Prime Membership (a value of $39!) which will give you FREE 2 day shipping on items sold by Amazon! You will just need to be a student to qualify and sign up here. This is great to have because if you decide to check out Amazon dorm items, you can get them shipped for FREE. Plus you can save on their book rentals and other benefits of being an Amazon Prime Member!
Here’s some additional tips and places where you can get some Amazing Dorm Room ideas and deals:
Walmart has affordable and functional ideas for you to create an amazing dorm space for you and your roomie. You can even shop online with their every day prices and special back-t0-school deals!
Design your college space with Ideas from Ikea (one of my favorite places to shop) Their items works perfectly in a dorm room and always have creative storage ideas and products!
You can view all of my back to school deals and tips here in our back to school section!
And don’t forget to check out some money saving tips on ways College Students can save money!
Do you have tips to offer for those going off to college? Feel free to leave them in the comment section and I will come back and add them!
And share this with others that you know are going off to college and need tips!