It’s easy to get cut up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas. If you’re looking to try something different this year, I have tips on how to enjoy a gift-less Christmas. Get a few ideas on how you can give the gift of quality time with loved ones without the stress of buying presents.
How to Enjoy a Gift-less Christmas
With minimalism becoming more popular every day, it is no wonder that more and more people are looking for a way to downsize this holiday season. If the idea of wrapping paper, cards, boxes, and gifts cluttering your house and home doesn’t bring you joy, it may be time to think about a gift-less Christmas. The truth is you can enjoy a holiday without all of the presents, gift bags, and wrapping paper. Look below at how to enjoy a gift-less Christmas, so you focus on making memories with family and focus less on stuff.
1. Plan free family activities. During the holiday season, there are so many free concerts and events for the family. Check your local listings and look for free plays, church choir concerts, potluck dinners, dances, and other free holiday events. Being active as a family is a great way to enjoy the season without accumulating clutter or spending much money. You will be so busy; you won’t even have time to think about presents!
2. Get crafty. Take the time to get crafty with your family. Use supplies you have on hand to create paper snowflakes for hanging, Christmas cards, or decorative paper chains. It will be fun to enjoy this time together as a family, and you can create some simple décor in the process.
3. Bake together. Once upon a time, families use to bake not just for the sweet treats, but for the amount of time baking would bring them all together. Find some favorite family recipes and give them a try. Have a baking day complete with holiday music and snacks. Not only will you love spending the time together, but you can pass the treats along to family and friends.
4. Enjoy the gift of quality time. Remember those coupons you use to make for your parents? The ones redeemable for various chores around the house? This is the same concept. Consider giving your loved ones coupons good for your time. It could be watching a movie together, enjoying a walk together, or doing some other activity you know the other person enjoys. It truly is wonderful to give the gift of your time!
5. Use the gift of words. How often do you tell loved ones how you feel about them? Instead of physical gifts, give gifts of words. Write a letter to a loved one telling them how much you love them and why you appreciate them. They are sure to cherish it forever.
6. Use your talents to help others. It is in giving that we receive, right? Instead of spending money on gifts, consider pooling your holiday funds to cook a dinner for a local shelter or adopt a family in need of holiday help. This would be an ideal family activity!
As you can see, there are simple ways to enjoy a gift-less holiday. Consider these tips for enjoying a gift-less holiday season and see if skimming back on the holiday gifts isn’t for you.