This Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet is a great hearty meal that your family is going to devour in minutes! If you are looking for easy meals under 30 minutes, this one is going to be a favorite. Not only is it full of flavor, but it is super affordable for those in need of satisfying frugal meals.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
Making a meal in under 30 minutes is a must when you have a family clamoring for dinner. If you prep ahead and dice or slice the vegetables early, you can make this in even less time!
I use a Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, but you may find you already have a favorite well worn cast iron skillet on hand. It truly is one of the best kitchen tools you can invest in buying. They are heavy duty, can be a nonstick surface when cured properly, and are usually large enough to cook a full meal in like this easy sweet potato skillet recipe.
Ingredients for Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet:
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Directions for Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet:
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking
approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water.
- Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt.
- Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Makes 4 Servings
As you can see, this is a great easy to make recipe that everyone will love. We always enjoy something that even the kids can help make, and this one is definitely on that list. Make our ground turkey sweet potato skillet as a great alternative meal on cool fall and winter evenings!
More Delicious Recipes:
Double Banana Bread Recipe