52 Week Challenge- Tips To Save Money: Watch Food Waste
It’s another week in the 52 week challenge! How are you doing so far? Are you keeping up with putting the money in your jar or bank each week? If you need help with weekly reminders, then sign up for our 52 week challenge newsletter!
Here’s this week’s tips to save money: Tips to Watch Food Waste
I used to get so annoyed with myself when I would do my weekly fridge cleanup and find all sorts of food that I let go to waste. Does this happen to you? If so, I have some great tips to save money on watch food waste. To me, throwing away that half a head of lettuce or those leftovers that never got eaten was like throwing away straight cash into my garbage. This used to happen more times than I like to admit, so I started making a conscious effort to stop it or at least lessen the amount that went to waste.
Here are some tips for lessening food waste in your home:
Keep an eye on how much the people in your home eat at meals. Don’t make more than is necessary to begin with. Don’t count on everyone having “seconds”. If folks are still hungry, a small snack can suffice.
Have a plan for everything you buy. Don’t buy things you will only use part of. For instance, if you just need a little bit of a certain kind of cheese for a dish, buy it from the deli by the pound rather than the package from the dairy section of your store.
Make a weekly meal plan. Doing this will allow you to first “shop” your own kitchen when you are deciding what to make. It will give you an opportunity to see what you have on hand before you go out and buy a duplicate.
Use your freezer. If you bought something that you can freeze well and it is not being used, make use of your freezer to save it. I do this often for things like shredded cheese. If I have some left over after a week and no plan to use it any time soon, I just stick it in the freezer for later use. This way, I am never throwing things like this out.
Get creative with leftovers. Often times, when we have tacos or burritos for dinner, there are a couple of leftover tortillas in the bag. I scramble up some eggs, add some cheese and sausage crumbles and roll them up into breakfast burritos to stick in my freezer for a quick microwavable breakfast. With scraps from carrots, onions, celery and others, you can freeze them and use them for soup stocks.
How do you stop food waste from happening in your home? I would love to hear your tips!
It’s not too late to join the 52 Week Money Challenge.
Why should You join the 52 week money savings challenge?
Most families are on the constant look out for ways to save more money. This challenge is easy and doesn’t require you to do a lot each week. It starts out with just saving a $1 on the first week. Or, if you’re doing the challenge in reverse, then $52 bucks.
It’s an easy way to save money and it does work if you apply just a little self-discipline and you are determined to save money. And having a goal is a good way reach your saving objective. Below are a few saving goal:
- You can use the money you saved to pay for your Christmas at the end of the year.
- Go on a vacation
- Jump-start a college fund
- Pay off debt
- Buy a car
- This could be your first time actually saving money in a bank account
The reasons for saving extra money are endless!But the key is getting started!
People tend to do better when faced with a challenge (of any kind).
- You will receive a weekly email reminder telling you to make your deposit into the bank or jar
- You will also receive a weekly savings tip on a way that you can save that week.
- You will receive inspiring stories and ways to save money each week!
- Many people and blogs start out doing this challenge within their communities. But by March, most have fallen off the band wagon. As you can see,by just looking at our 52 weekly challenge archive, you can see that we kept up with it each week.
- I’ve personally and successfully completed this money saving challenge two years in a row! I am doing this challenge right along with you and to encourage you along the way. And if you need to tweak it to fit your families needs, save more , etc. then I am here to help you with that too!
- You can find out more about the 52 Week Challenge HERE
So, let’s get started! Sign up today to start receiving the 52 week money saving challenge newsletter!