Everyone loves a great Semi-Homemade Christmas Cupcakes Recipe! These Holly Cupcakes are so cute and super easy to make. Just grab a few supplies and have your kids help you put these together to share at holiday parties or just for fun!
Semi-Homemade Holly Christmas Cupcakes
We use a generic chocolate cake mix and make cupcakes in advance for this recipe. If you prefer making a from scratch recipe feel free to do so, we just love the convenience of the common cake mix cupcake. For extra moist cupcakes, add an extra egg to the mix, or even mix in some chocolate pudding. This will give these already yummy cupcakes a better flavor and help them stay moist longer.
Note: We prefer using the WIlton brand of candy melts. This brand has given the right color throughout and melts beautifully for us every time. You can use basic almond bark and food coloring if you prefer, but we like the consistent coloring the already colored variety offers.
Ingredients for Holly Christmas Cupcakes
- 12 of your favorite chocolate cupcakes
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- ½ cup green candy melts
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Red decorating frosting
Yields: One dozen decorated cupcakes
Directions for Holly Christmas Cupcakes
- Before you start decorating, ensure that your cupcakes are completely cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, and milk until smooth. Your chocolate buttercream is ready once it forms semi-stiff peaks.
- Scoop the chocolate buttercream into a piping bag and frost each cupcake.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave green candy and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Scoop the melted candy into a sandwich bag and cut a small slit in one corner. On your lined baking sheet, draw out the leaves to your holly, about 1 ½ inch in length. The easiest way to draw them with the candy melts is by continuously piping a “v” shape and working downwards. Draw 24 of them and let them sit for about 15 minutes.
- Place 2 leaves on each cupcake and pipe out red dots with your red decorating frosting.
Transporting Cupcakes Easily
We know that most of the time when you are making special Christmas cupcakes like these, you are likely taking them to a party or event. That means you’ll want to have them safely stored for transport. We prefer using plastic cupcake carriers that are made specifically for this purpose. Another great idea is to place a toothpick in the top of each cupcake and then place plastic wrap gently over the top. This will keep the decorations from being ruined while also keeping your cupcakes fresh and prevent them from getting stale.
More Delicious Cupcake Ideas
We know that cupcakes are a hit no matter what the event, so we wanted to share even more great options with you! Our Winter Snowflake Cupcake, Easy Christmas Tree Cupcake, Cherry Cordial Cupcakes, and our Snowman Cupcakes are all awesome choices to add to your holiday party dessert buffet!