“Sponsored post by Mirum Shopper. All opinions are my own.”
This easy back to school lunch idea is also great for a snack! Try Hellmann’s Strangewich idea- Grilled Cheese + Blueberries. This is a unique way to make a grilled sandwich!
Grilled Cheese + Blueberries Strangewich
We’re in the count down for back to school to begin for the 2017 season! As you prepare to get buy school supplies, clothes, and other important items kids need for school, don’t forget about savoring those last few days of summer. Our summer has been filled with a ton of great memories, including getting a new chocolate labradoodle puppy named Chance.
Two out of three of our boys love grilled cheese sandwiches. Derrick typically makes their grilled sandwiches the traditional way, with butter, cheese, and bread. However, Hellmann’s recently came out with a variety of sandwiches, called strangewiches, which includes a sweet way to make grilled cheese sandwiches.
As a little girl, I LOVED grilled cheese sandwiches. My dad used to make them for me, and then when I get married, my husband started to make them for me. Being able to continue this tradition with our boys is important. The kitchen area is the hub of our home. This is where delicious meals are created, and where kids will come hang out while we’re in the kitchen preparing meals.
Food is fuel. Food is also used to engage our kids in meaningful conversations.
Partnering with Kroger and Hellmann’s, Zayd’n and I checked out the variety of strangewich recipes, and we both wanted to try their grilled cheese + blueberries.
I like to use any chance I get to sit down and talk to the boys. They are growing up, and soon will be gone from the nest (sigh…). It’s important to carve out time to savor each and every moment with your child(ren).
We were able to head to our nearest Kroger store to pick up the ingredients we needed to make this unique Hellmann’s strangewich. Take a look at the recipe below, and you can also find more super cool varieties by going here.
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 2-3 tablespoons sweetened rhubarb and crushed blueberries mixture
- 2 tablespoons Hellmann’s Real Squeeze Mayonnaise
- slices of smoked Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive olive
- Into a non-stick or cast iron skillet add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over med-high heat.
- Spread a tablespoon of Hellmann’s Real Squeeze Mayonnaise on each side of the slices of bread.
- When the oil is hot place pieces of bread into the skillet.
- Add a layer of smoked Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese and allow the cheese to melt slightly.
- Spoon 1-3 tablespoon of sweetened rhubarb and crushed blueberries mixture over the cheese.
- Place a slice of bread on top and turn over.
- Heat until the strangewich is golden brown.
- Slice crosswise and serve.
Our recipe is adapted from Hellmann’s Grilled Cheese + Blueberries Strangewich
We were curious about blueberries would pair well with cheese, but it’s actually pretty good. The blueberry syrup mixture makes the grilled cheese sweet. Plus, using gruyere cheese created a cheesy goodness, mixed with sweet blueberries, equals epic grilled cheese strangewich!
These strangewich ideas are great for lunch and even dinner. Plus, these ideas are a filling after school snack too!
What type of strangewich will you create? Head over to Hellmann’s website to select a strangewich, and come back and let me know which one appeals to you and your family!