With the holidays practically here it’s difficult to enjoy all the festivities when you are limited in what you can eat due to gluten allergies. Many of the main courses and side dishes are easily adapted but the dessert table can be very tough to navigate. This Gluten Free Mini Caramel Apple Tarts recipe is a great and fun way to treat yourself and others to a yummy dessert or snack that is also gluten free and friendly for those with allergies. I love how classy these look displayed on a platter at the dessert table! Nothing makes you feel better than when someone compliments your hard work on dessert and you know it really wasn’t very hard at all!
GLUTEN FREE MINI CARAMEL APPLE TARTS
1 1/4 Cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (Our favorites are Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur’s. There is also a great Gluten Free Bisquick Mix that can be substituted following recipe on it’s box.)
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/3 Cup Butter (Cold but sliced into thin pads or small chunks for easy blending)
1 Large Egg Beaten
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1-2 Tablespoons Ice Water (as needed)
- In large bowl mix together gluten free flour, sugar, salt and xanthan gum.
- Blend in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In small bowl mix together lemon juice and egg until it becomes frothy/foamy.
- Stir wet mixture into flour and combine until dough begins to form. Add water gradually as need to form a nice dough.
- Form dough into ball and wrap in plastic wrap storing in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
CARAMEL APPLE FILLING:
4 Granny Smith Apples (peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces)
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon Cloves
1/8 Teaspoon Allspice
1/3 Cup Butter
1/8 Cup Water
- In large skillet melt butter.
- Add brown sugar, spices and apples and simmer on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add water and continue cooking on medium heat for additional 5-7 minutes or until apples are softened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and form small 1″ balls placing one in each hole of a pre-sprayed mini muffin pan.
- Using a Mini Tart Shaper/Tamper create a hole for each tart to receive filling. This dough will be a bit wetter than your traditional pie crust.
- Spoon around 2 Teaspoons of apple mixture into each tart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
These are great served alone or with your favorite whipped cream, whipped topping or even frozen yogurt or ice cream. The same recipe can be used as a regular full sized pie but for holiday parties these bite sized mini tarts are perfect and enjoyed by all. These Gluten Free Mini Caramel Apple Tarts are delicious, light and truly the perfect “treat” to share at your next dinner party or holiday event.
Gluten Free Mini Caramel Apple Tarts
I enjoy apple desserts and this one is a definite plus with the gluten free aspect! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Mondays!