These Free or Cheap Things To Do In Grand Rapids are great for afternoons of fun with the kids this summer. When your budget is limited, these are great choices that are either totally free, or very cheap and reasonable for the whole family to enjoy. Grand Rapids is a great city full of fun activities that are sure to make your family happy.
Free Or Cheap Things To Do In Grand Rapids
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park: Beautiful gardens and unique sculptures make this a fun spot to stroll through with your family. Great artistic sights and amazing landscaping make this a fun place to visit.
- Grand Rapids Art Museum: Every Tuesday this museum is open and free to the public. A great time to learn more about current art, as well as the history of art in the community.
- Calvin College Ecosystem Preserve: This amazing facility is all about preserving local wildlife. It also has a beautiful butterfly home, hiking trails and spectacular views the entire family will enjoy.
- Art Prize: Art Prize takes place every year towards the end of September. This is a great date night idea, or bring the whole family to this free event. It’s art that brings conversation to life and visitors from around the world for this art competition.
- Gerald R. Ford Museum: This museum is dedicated to the life work of the late President Ford. Great information about his life and impact on our nation.
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Meyer May House: Take a look at a piece of architectural history with this gorgeous home nestled in Grand Rapids history.
- Geocaching at Kent County Parks: This fun new trend is tons of fun for the entire family, and Grand Rapids sports some great places to enjoy it.
- Voigt House Victorian Museum: A great historical location that displays what life was like for the upper middle class of the Victorian era in Grand Rapids, it is a favorite location to visit by locals and tourists alike.
- Fallasburg Covered Bridge: A gorgeous place for family photos and to appreciate a time that is no more.
- Millennium Park: This expansive park is perfect for time spent with your family barbecuing, picnicking, swimming and exploring. With lakes, sandy beaches and tons of hiking trails it is a great place to spend a busy afternoon.
- Lookout Park: A great location for picnics, a romantic stroll with your partner or to let the kids run off a bit of extra energy. Beautiful views and perfect picnic locations.
- Leonardo Da Vinci’s Horse: A bronze copy of the infamous marble horse created by Da Vinci is a fun place to visit and take pictures with the family.
- Blandford Nature Center: A beautiful place to hike, check out local wildlife and foliage as well as get back to nature.
- Grand Rapids Children’s Museum: Interactive and imagination play is found in this beautiful and unique museum focused on kids creativity.
- The Lost City: Located in Holland, a few miles outside Grand Rapids this is a bonus to the list. It is a fun place full of things like laser tag, arcade games and even bowling. Low price and tons of fun it is a great way to top off a busy day.
These free or cheap things to do in Grand Rapids are sure to keep you and our family happy during your visit. Not only are there plenty of outdoor activities, the historical venues and museums will keep mom and dad happy and kids educated.
What are some things you love to do around the Grand Rapids area? If you have one, leave me a comment below so I can add it!
***And be sure to check out the Mid-Michigan Bucket List of ideas!
- You can also find more locals deals pinned to our Local Pinterest board! So be sure to pin this:
- You can find more Local Events and activities going on in the Mid-Michigan area and beyond!
- Be sure to visit our Local section of the blog to find the latest free/cheap events happening in the Lansing and Jackson areas.
Another great list. Thanks for this, will put it up at our social media pages and accounts too for others to see!